Saturday, October 26, 2013

Dread Central (Essential) Question

            Starting from day one of my process of applying to Rhode Island College, I was stuck on the idea of how I can evenly mix the role of mentor/tutor, that I have become very comfortable with in my work with after school programs, and the role of instructor. I know many things about myself, I can create a safe environment for children, can become a person they run to if they have pressing issues,  and I can coach them through even the toughest problems that their teachers give them. But what I don’t know is how to be the instructor/teacher. I don’t know how to give out the homework, present material, or how to effectively grade student work. Now like everything else, I didn’t become a valued mentor and tutor overnight, it took experience and practice, but I am a little terrified to enter my first class and fail at being an instructor. I know over time, I will come to find the appropriate balance through trial and error, but before I start I’d like to come up with a map, a starting place, I can deviate from if necessary.


            When it boils down to one single question, my essential question is: How can I balance my identity as a mentor/tutor with my future identity of instructor/teacher?

No comments:

Post a Comment